Do you wash your blankets and sheets every time you wash your clothes? Some people believe that washing blankets once a month is enough, while others think they need to be washed more often.
You should wash your blankets at least once every three months. However, if you use your blankets every time you sleep, you may consider a more frequent schedule, such as weekly or bi-weekly washing. Failing to keep your blankets clean can cause them to harbor bacteria, mold, and other allergens.
Keep reading to know how often you should wash your blankets, the consequences of not washing them frequently enough, and whether dirty blankets can cause health issues.
How Often Should You Wash Your Blankets?
How often you wash your blankets is up to you and depends on how often they are used. However, you should wash them at least every few months.
For example, if you live in a humid environment or use your blanket as an extra layer of warmth every night during colder months, you’ll need to wash your blanket more frequently.
On the other hand, if your blankets are typically clean and only get used occasionally, then there’s no need to clean them very often.
Is It OK To Wash Sheets Once a Month?
It is not recommended to wash your bed sheets once a month. Ideally, you must wash your sheets every week. Not washing your sheets as often as needed can lead to a build-up of sweat, skin cells, and even dust mites, which can all contribute to poor sleep quality.
If you have a good quality set of sheets, you’d want them to last as long as possible. By washing them regularly, you’re helping to keep your sheets in good condition so they can continue to provide you with comfort and warmth for years to come.
What Happens if You Don’t Wash Your Blankets?
If you don’t wash your blankets, they can become a home for dust mites, mold, and bacteria. These can cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, and allergies. In extreme cases, not washing your blanket can lead to asthma attacks.
Not only are dirty blankets bad for your health, but they’re also uncomfortable. Nobody wants to snuggle up with a filthy blanket. Forgetting to wash your blanket regularly can cause the following problems:
- A build-up of dirt, dust, and oil will occur. When blankets are used daily and come in contact with our skin, the oils we naturally produce are transferred to the blanket, as well as any dirt or dust that may be on our bodies. Over time, this build-up can become quite noticeable and make your blanket less comfortable.
- You may experience skin irritations. Blankets can harbor all sorts of bacteria and allergens that can trigger a reaction in sensitive skin. If you’re prone to skin irritations, it’s best to wash your blankets frequently.
- It can cause respiratory problems. Blankets can collect dust, pollen, and other allergens. These allergens can trigger asthma and other respiratory problems. Additionally, they can become a breeding ground for bacteria and mold if they’re not washed regularly.
- Dust mites can thrive in dirty blankets. If you don’t wash your blankets, dust mites can thrive in them. Dust mites are tiny creatures that live off of dead skin cells. They are often found in mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, and carpets. If you have asthma or allergies, dust mites can trigger an attack.
Can You Get Bed Bugs From Not Washing Your Sheets?
You cannot get bed bugs from not washing your sheets. Bed bugs are generally brought into homes through used furniture or luggage and then make their way to beds, couches, or other areas where people sleep.
Bed bugs are not attracted to dirt or oil build-up in dirty sheets. Instead, they are attracted to your blood.
These insects can be difficult to eliminate once they’ve infested an area. They are small, elusive, and reproduce quickly, making them a nightmare for homeowners and renters alike.
However, keeping your sheets clean is one way to kill any bed bugs present and prevent them from taking over your home. You can strip your bed by laundering all the fabrics in hot water. Be sure to dry them on high heat to kill any remaining bugs or eggs.
Why You Should Wash Your Blankets and Sheets Regularly
Blankets are essential to any home’s comfort level, as they keep you warm in cold weather by trapping body heat. But even if you use a blanket only occasionally, it’s still important to wash it regularly.
While most people focus on washing their clothes, sheets and blankets must also be cleaned regularly. Doing so comes with great benefits such as:
- It helps you stay healthy. Dirty sheets can harbor bacteria, dust mites, and other allergens. Dust mites are a common cause of asthma and allergies, so washing your blankets regularly can contribute to good health. Additionally, because bacteria can cause skin infections and acne, keeping your sheets clean will also help you maintain clear skin.
- It provides you with a better sleeping experience. In addition to reducing the likelihood of developing allergies or asthma, regularly washing your bedding also helps to eliminate unpleasant smells. By removing all traces of sweat, body odor, and other contaminants from your linens, you’ll be able to sleep more comfortably, knowing that your sheets are fresh and clean.
- It prevents bugs from thriving. Your bedding is one of the places where bed bugs are likely to appear. These tiny creatures are too small to see, but they’re big enough to cause problems. Bed bugs thrive in warm, humid environments. So if you wash your blankets and sheets regularly, you can prevent your bed from becoming a breeding ground for these pests.
If you’re not washing your blankets regularly, you may be putting your health and comfort levels at risk. Dirty blankets can actually cause allergies and other respiratory issues. Therefore, make sure to wash your blankets at least once a month to keep yourself and your loved ones comfortable and healthy.